Make Today Matter...Facts:
- The fastest growing age group is 85 years and older.
- Every 7.5 seconds a baby boomer turns 60.
- 1 out of every 5 people, or 72 million, will be 65 years or older by 2030.
- Nearly 23% of people aged 75 and older live in nursing homes.
- Due to the increase in divorce rates, a decrease in the number of children, and more family members living farther away from one another, family support for the elderly is less available.
Take action today!
We'll all be there one day...
- Offer the elderly you see today simple gestures of courtesy and respect--smile and say "hello," let them have the right of way while driving, or give up your seat in a crowded area.
- Contact a local independent living, assisted living, or continued care facility and ask if they need volunteers.
- Ask the facility if children or pets are allowed.
- Organize your family or a group of friends to go with you.
- Be prepared. Volunteering at a senior or elderly care home can involve many types of activities--playing games or cards, reading, doing art and craft projects, singing songs, teaching a class, or just being friendly.
- Ask the seniors questions about their life.
- Have FUN!
Our senior-citizen population is changing--and this group will grow by another 18 million people in the next 25 years. Today, seniors are living longer, are more full of life, have more expendable income, and have achieved higher levels of education.
So, if you spend time with them, you might just find that a friendly game of gin rummy or bingo will teach you a thing or two...about life.
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)