Make Today Matter...Facts:
- Every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- 38,000 pints of blood are used every day.
- Demand for blood is rising faster than the rate of donations. In fact, donations are declining.
- 1 pint of blood can save up to 3 lives--maybe even the life of someone you know.
- 60% of the population is eligible to donate, but less than 5% do on a yearly basis.
- The #1 reason donors say they give is because they "want to help others."
- Anyone who is in good health, is at least 17 years old, and weigh at least 110lbs may donate blood once every 56 days.
Take action today!
- Find a blood donor location near you and schedule an appointment today.
- Donate blood. The blood donation process take approximately 30 minutes.
- When you donate, you'll receive a donor card stating your blood type. Keep the card in your wallet.
- Put yourself on a regular donating schedule of once every 56 days. If you have type O-negative blood, the universal donor type, your blood is especially needed because it can be used in emergencies.
Human blood is precious and can't be manufactured outside of the body. If you gave blood 4 times a year for the next 10 years, you would save 120 lives. Think of how many lives you could save if you gave blood for the rest of your life!
Saving just one life should be convincing enough. There is no substitute for human blood.
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)