Make Today Matter...Facts:
- 3 million children are currently enrolled in a mentoring program.
- Mentors help children develop self-confidence, relationship skills, and a positive attitude toward school.
- Nearly 70% of inner-city 4th graders are unable to read at a basic level.
- 1 out of 3 public high school students won't graduate.
- Nearly 3 million youth ages 12-15 are at risk of suicide annually, and over 35% will actually attempt suicide--approximately 2,700 attempts per day.
- 15 million youth are in need of mentoring. If they don't get it, they are more likely to not reach adulthood successfully. These youth are:
-63% more likely to skip a class.
-54% more likely to begin using illegal drugs.
-48% more likely to skip school.
Take action today!
- Find a mentoring program near you and apply to become a mentor.
- Most mentoring programs will pair you with a child based on your skill set and the child's needs.
- If you have your own children or know children who could use a mentor, be a self-starter and create your own mentoring program.
- Once a week, spend an hour or two with your mentee doing everyday activities like homework, playing sports, and having simpler conversation.
- Set goals with your mentee and share in the excitement of their achievement and growth.
Children are just as capable of doing great things as any other person, but many times they are not equipped with the right foundation, knowledge, encouragement, and tools to make the right choices. The decisions they make can change the entire course of their futures.
You may not know what to say or do, but you will quickly realize that what matters most is that you care.
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)