Make Today Matter...Facts:
- 54 million or more people ages 5 and older have a non-institutionalizing disability.
- 25 million disabled are of an employable age.
- 78% want to be employed, but only 33% have a job.
- Disabilities are more often caused by accidents, illnesses, or late-emerging effects of genetics than by congenital disorders.
- Not all severe disabilities can be detected by the human eye.
- Over 15% of the cars parked in a handicapped parking space are parked illegally.
Take action today!
- Show respect to the disabled today.
- Don't park in a handicapped parking space or use handicapped plates or placards illegally. Designated parking for the handicapped is a necessity.
- Don't use handicapped bathroom stalls unless you're handicapped. A handicapped person's need to use the restroom may be just as urgent as yours, and it often takes them longer to prepare to use the facilities.
- When you see a handicapped license plate, slow down and show consideration rather than tailgating or honking.
- Open a door, roll a wheelchair up or down an incline, carry shopping bags, or offer an arm in challenging weather conditions or on uneven walkways.
The majority of people with disabilities want to be totally integrated into all aspects of society.
With more awareness, respect, and helpfulness, you can make someone's life a little bit easier. People don't plan on getting disabilities, but it happens every day.
One day, that disabled person may even be you.
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)