Make Today Matter...
- In the world:
- Every 11 seconds someone dies of AIDS.
- Every 15 seconds someone dies from a waterborne illness.
- 40 million people are living with HIV/AIDS.
- 1 billion have no access to clean water.
- 2.6 billion live without basic sanitation.
- 5 million live in refugee camps.
- 1.08 billion live on $1 or less per day.
- 2 million children die each year from diseases that inexpensive vaccines could have prevented.
- 11 million children die before they reach their 5th birthday. That's as if every child under five living in the United Kingdom, France, and Germany were to die in a single year.
- Enough food is produced to feed everyone.
- Every year more than 16 million people--the equivalent of one hundred 747 jets crashing every day of the year--die from:
- HIV/AIDS (2,900,000)
- Pneumonia (2,000,000)
- Diarrhea (1,600,000)
- Malaria (1,000,000)
Take action today!
- Pick a global organization that interests you. The needs are many and obvious.
- Get involved today!
The numbers are unbelievable, but they reflect a truth we cannot ignore. This is OUR world.
You, your friends, your family, your co-workers ALL matter when it comes to changing the statistics. Each one of you can make a huge difference. Every day we put off helping our world, we lose tens of thousands of people...many of whom died while you were reading this page.
Poverty is the common denominator.
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)