Make Today Matter...Facts:
- 1 acre of trees produces enough oxygen for 18 people every day.
- Planting trees remains one of the most cost-effective means of drawing excess CO2 from the atmosphere. 1 acre of trees can absorb the same amount of CO2 produced by a car driven 26,000 miles.
- 3 trees planted strategically around the house can reduce energy use by up to 50%.
- Trees add beauty, increase property values, and reduce stress.
- 1 tree planted by every family would reduce 1 billion pounds of CO2 annually from our atmosphere.
Take action today!
- Call your local nursery to get a list of trees that grow best in your area; then determine the type of tree you would like to plant.
- Give a tree to someone as a gift.
- To plant a tree:
- Dig a hole at least twice as big as the root ball of the tree.
- Place several inches of good soil mix at the bottom of the hole before inserting the tree.
- Place the tree in the hole. If your tree comes in a plastic pot, burlap, or wire basket, remove it from the container without disturbing the root system.
- Fill in the hole with good soil and pack firmly.
- Anchor your tree using a tree stake. Use wire and a length of old hose to secure tree to the stake--the hose will keep the wire from cutting through the trunk. Remove anchor after 2 years.
- Water thoroughly and fertilize as directed.
Trees improve our air quality, save energy, reduce pollutants, provide homes for wildlife, and add brilliant colors to landscapes. Planting 100 million trees can reduce the amount of carbon by an estimated 18 million tons per year and, at the same time, save consumers $4 billion each year on utility bills.
100 million trees--that's the goal. So get out your shovel!
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)