Make Today Matter...
- Over 3.4 million burglaries occur annually.
- 60% or more of residential burglaries occur during daylight hours.
- Every 14.6 seconds a burglary takes place.
- Over 60% of all burglaries are by forcible entry by breaking windows, and forcing open doors, windows, or locks.
- Approximately 32% of all burglaries are by unlawful entry with no force: the robbers enter via an open door or window.
- The average loss per residential burglary is $1,725.
- July has the greatest number of burglaries; February has the least.
- Only 17%, or 1 in 6 people, volunteer in a program that prevents crime.
Make it more difficult for burglars to do their job...
Take action today!
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Organize a community watch program to protect your neighborhood. Obtain training and necessary information from your local law enforcement agency.
- Post a Neighborhood Watch sign in a visible window of your home and encourage neighbors to do the same.
- Ask neighbors to be observant and report suspicious or unusual activities.
- Let your neighbors know when you'll be out of town and leave a contact number where you can be reached.
- Make your home safer by installing an alarm system, placing rods in the frames of sliding windows and doors, leaving outdoor lights (CFL's) on at night, setting indoor lamps with timers, and adopting a dog.
A safe neighborhood is created when the people who live in the community look out for one another and their property. Keeping a watchful eye, noticing and reporting unusual activities, and talking with neighbors to make them aware of neighborhood happenings all help create a crime watch program and a safe community.
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)