Make Today Matter...
Traffic is overrated!
- Only 10.2% of workers rideshare.
- 52.5 cents per mile is the average cost to drive a car due to fuel, maintenance, tires, depreciation, and insurance.
- $2,520 can be save annually by each person in a 2-person, 40-mile roundtrip rideshare.
- 12,000 gallons of gasoline would be saved each year for every 100 people who paired up into a daily rideshare.
- 18 lbs of CO2 is produced by burning 1 gallon of gasoline.
- A 10% nationwide increase in transit ridership would save 135 million gallons of gasoline a year.
- 34% of roads are in poor or mediocre condition due to heavy usage and lack of proper repair.
Save your car, the roads, and your tax dollars!
Take action today!
- Find a rideshare partner. Ask a co-worker, student, or friend.
- Check with your company or school to see if there is an organized rideshare program.
- Follow these guidelines:
- Discuss preferences like seating arrangements, music, eating, cell phone usage, and smoking.
- Set up a probationary period to try out the arrangement.
- Provide information about your rideshare partner(s) to someone else in case of emergency.
- Create an equitable driving and cost arrangement.
- Be punctual.
Do something meaningful with the $2,520 you save!
Ridesharing reduces gasoline usage, vehicle wear, traffic, stress, pollution, and dependency on foreign oil. With every 100 people who pair up daily and rideshare for a year, we keep 1,848 lbs of hydrocarbons, 1,320 lbs of carbon monoxide, 792 lbs of nitrogen oxides, and 2,376,000 lbs of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere.
You might even make a friend or two...
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)