Make Today Matter...
- There are approximately 2.1 million active and reserve men and women in the US military.
- Hundreds of thousands of troops are deployed indefinitely in remote parts of the world, including the Middle East, Afganistan, Africa, the Korean Peninsula, and on ships throughout international waters.
- Active military members are deployed for long periods of time, and they love receiving good wishes and words of appreciation and support, even from total strangers.
- The most requested item by military men and women is a letter.
Take action today!
- Select a soldier you know or one who is related to someone you know.
- If you don't know a soldier, ask a friend, student, co-worker, pastor, or local military representative to help make a connection. Make sure they provide proper mailing instructions.
- Grab some paper, an envelope, and a pen.
- Write a letter from your heart that expresses your gratitude, show your support, and provides encouragement. Share a little bit about yourself and ask questions. Avoid such topics as death, killing, and politics.
- Include your e-mail or mailing address in case the recipient wants to write back.
- Send the letter!
We can't take them for granted...
Our military protects our nation's freedom, and, regardless of your political affiliation and whether or not you believe in war, these brave men and women need to know that we appreciate their sacrifices and service.
With a simple card or letter, you can brighten the day of a soldier who is overseas ensuring your freedom.
Your letter might be the only thing that makes a soldier smile that day!
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)