Make Today Matter...
- The US has the highest rate of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) in the industrialized world, with over 65 million people infected.
- 19 million new cases of STDs are diagnosed every year.
- 1 in 4 teens contracts an STD each year.
- 1 in 2 sexually active persons under the sage of 25 will contract an STD.
- Over $14 billion is spent each year to diagnose and treat STDs, excluding HIV.
- Nearly 1 million people are estimated to have HIV, and 25% are unaware of their infection.
- 50% of the population will likely have an STD at some point in their lifetime.
STDs and HIV are preventable.
Take action today!
- Call your physician or locate a testing facility near you and make an appointment to get tested for STDs and HIV. Testing is anonymous and can be free of charge.
- Get the information you need before getting tested. Counseling and support are available to help assess your risks and understand your results.
- If your test results are negative and you are sexually active, use a condom. Abstinence is always the safest policy.
- If you test positive, be responsible: get treated and tell your partner. Be honest and give full disclosure.
No one is immune.
We need to take responsibility for transmitting infections and diseases to others. Save lives, money, heartache, and emotional burden by getting tested.
If you could prevent yourself from passing along a life-threatening infection, disease, or inconvenience to someone, wouldn't you?
(Adapted from Every Monday Matters: 52 Ways to Make a Difference by Matthew Emerzian and Kelly Bozza)